The Power House and Battery House.
The site of the Power House in Etal has a long but indistinct history. The 1860 map on the left shows a Corn Mill on the site and a census in 1800 mentions a Ralph Lowrie as tenant of "Etall Mill" paying a rent of £273 per year.
It is possible there was another mill at some time on the opposite bank. There is an ancient water course (tunnel) on that side and on various maps the land there is called Mill Bank.
Census records suggest that both the Etal Mill and the Barley Mill farther down stream ceased operation sometime between 1861 and 1871.
The Land Valuation Map of 1910 on the right shows only a small building (described on another document as a "Net House"), and the building, which still stands there now, known as the
It is possible that this building was a drying kiln and granary for the original mill. If examined it can be seen that it has been increased in height over the years. Looking down the hill a previous brick chimney stack can be clearly seen.
The 1920 map on the left clearly shows the Power House with the sluice running under it. It is generally thought that it was built around that time by Pattersons of Branxton. The metal covers on the old tanks which stored the diesel fuel have the Patterson name on them.
On 7th September 2008 we awoke to find our workshop and showroom under water. This was the first time this had ever happened since the workshop was built in the early part of the 20th century. Previous floods had only reached a level approximately 75 cm (2’6”) below the level it reached in 2008.
The turbine itself and other equipment was installed by Gilbert Gilkes and Gordon of Kendal, Cumbria. This firm was established in 1853 and still installs water turbines today.